Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Strengthening My Core

Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash. (Matthew 7:24-27)

About four months ago I was seeing a chiropractor semi-regularly for some pain in my back. Her recommendation was very clear and very simple: I needed to strengthen my core. She suggested a few exercises and even suggested a book that I could refer to for some additional ideas. I went out immediately and bought the book, and that night I did my exercises. And for the course of my treatment with her I was doing pretty well. Unfortunately, when I stopped seeing her regularly, so my exercises stopped. Fast forward to today.

About a week ago, my knee started hurting so today I saw an orthopedist. he took xrays and examined how my knee moved. Fortunately nothing is broken or torn, but that doesn't make the pain go away. His suggestion? No joke: I need to strengthen my core. This time it came with a warning that if I don't strengthen my core now, I will cause serious damage to my knee.

So, I began thinking, if only I was doing what I was supposed to be doing, I'd probably be fine right now. Why do we know what we're supposed to do, and not do it? Why is it so easy to fall into the foolishness that Jesus warns us about in Matthew 7? In my physical life and in my spiritual life, I know what I need to do. I just can't manage to strengthen my core.

1 comment:

  1. Just an fyi...pole fitness really works on strengthening your core. :)
    Also, I'm going to be starting Zumba nights & mornings soon at church. That will help your core too.

    ReplyDelete