Friday, July 27, 2012

Olympic Spirit

A few nights ago as my husband and I talked I reminded him that the Olympics are starting this week, to which he replied, "I know.  Aren't you excited!"  And yes, I was.  I am.  We both are.  I then realized there could be couples in dozens - if not hundreds - of countries around the world having the same conversation.

The Olympics are such a great occasion.  The common bond of friendly competition, the excitement of tradition, and the beauty of athletic ability are just a few reasons I always enjoy them.  As it should, I am saddened to hear stories of when this Olympic spirit is broken.  In the 1972 Olympics, terrorists took 9 people hostage - an action that ultimately ended with 16 deaths, becoming known as the Munich Massacre.  Most of us still remember the 1996 Olympic bombing in which two were killed and dozens more injured.  Surely there are many more, and ones very few no about.  They are so contradictory to the unity of the events.

In Ephesians we read about another unity, not to celebrate our similarities as humans, but our unity in our faith:
Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.  There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all. (Ephesians 4:1-6, NASB)
Imagine if we could celebrate our salvation in the same way we celebrate the Olympics.  Did you see what he overcame to get here?  Imagine if we could encourage each other's performance in daily life.  You tried so hard, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you the way you wanted.  Imagine if we could truly live in unity, in one Spirit, in the way we were called to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment