Thursday, May 14, 2020

Moment

A friend recently gave me a necklace that says "This moment matters."  (See it: HERE.) It is one of the lessons I am learning right now in my life. Lessons aren't always easily learned: sometimes you have to kick and scream and push until the outcome is what it is supposed to be; sometimes you have to shut up, sit down, and wait for the right results; and sometimes it's hard to know which method to employ.

REDEFINING A MOMENT
The problem with a "moment" is that it is an indefinite amount of time. The problem with "indefinite" is that it can mean "unlimited" or "unspecified."  I mean the latter, but I digress.  I usually think of a moment as a short period of time, such as a second or a minute. We say things like, "Can we take a moment to thank Mrs. Smith for her contributions to this event?" We applaud, and the moment is gone. However, a moment can be a longer: In the 1980 Winter Olympics, the American men's hockey team beat the USSR in what is now known as the Miracle on Ice; it was a great moment in sports.  The moment was not only that exact second that the buzzer rang, but rather the hours leading up to, during, and after the game.

RECALLING A MOMENT
If you read an English translation of the Bible, it appears Matthew is focused on moments (moment appears in Matthew 3:16, 8:13, 9:22, 15:28, and 17:18).  The original Greek is actually "hora" or hour.  This may be strange at first, but let's think about it.  When we remember moments, most of us don't know the actual second.  We may remember the feeling of that second, but we remember in generalities. A few notable exceptions exist, such as a a birth, a death, or if we happen to look at a clock before something significant happens.  We don't usually know when something significant is about to happen, so our recollection is usually limited to a general hour.

RECLAIMING A MOMENT
Moments, whether seconds or hours, become days.  Days become years.  Years become a lifetime.  I am living in a moment that has its challenges.  You may feel the same.  When I think about the life I want, it does not always match the life I live.  I want to be healthy, but I have poor eating habits.  I want to understand the Word, but I don't spend enough regular time reading it.  I want to have meaningful friendships, but it's easier to hold people at a distance.  These moments are opportunities.  I can chose how I spend each moment, and that is why this moment matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment