Friday, March 12, 2021

FMF: Possible

"But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”

“‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”

Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
(Mark 9:22b-24, NIV)


The man presented his sick child to the disciples, and at first his case seemed futile.  Even the disciples could not call out the spirit that caused the child to convulse, sometimes even fall in the fire.  Enter Jesus.  The situation was admittedly tense.  First, He rebukes His disciples, calling them an "unbelieving generation."  Ouch.  But, then, oh blessed moment, He calls for the child to be brought to Him.

The father cries out to Jesus.  He wants Jesus to take pity on His son if there's any way to heal him.

Jesus confirms, "If?"  Jesus clarifies: Jesus can't just do anything. He can do everything.  It's a matter of the father's faith.

The word faith in the original language is used both sacredly (God given faith) and secularly (convincing oneself).  Linguists look to the context to understand what kind of faith is intended?

I am certainly no linguist, but it seems like the father addresses both of these faiths.  His cry to Jesus is this: I have done everything in my power to believe, so help me to believe with the faith that only God can give.

If that is what is required, than perhaps I should pray less to be fixed and pray more to be faithed.




* * *
This post is a prompt from Five Minute Friday
and was written in approximately five minutes.
For more information, visit fiveminutefriday.com.
* * *

8 comments:

  1. If that is what is required, than perhaps I should pray less to be fixed and pray more to be faithed. Amen, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes!! I love these verses and have said many times, I believe. Help my unbelief. Now I'll pray to be faithed too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I need to pray to be more faithed as well! I love that Jesus meets this desperate father - and each of us - where we are and helps us to believe for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the deleted comment...I had messed up the rhyme scheme and didn't catch it. Not vary good at poofreeding, sometines.

      Here's the corrected version. Hope you like it...your post made me really think about being faithed.

      My world is spinning, spinning,
      the storm-waves heave and roll,
      and in this final inning
      I am not in control,
      so let me, God, please hand to You
      my life and hope and fate,
      for there's nothing I can do,
      but pass them on, and wait
      for the judgment that You make
      on how to help me best,
      and 'pray the Lord my soul to take',
      the child-prayer, is the test,
      for now at last I understand
      that always it's been in Your hands.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I need to pray more to be faithed.

    This reminds me of the song, “Jesus I believe.” Here is the chorus,
    I need to hear You now
    I need to know it's You
    I'm standing on your promises
    I know your Words are true
    You're bigger what I see
    It's You in exchange for me
    'Cause even the impossible is your reality
    God even the impossible is your reality
    Jesus I believe
    Jesus I believe
    Help my unbelief God
    Jesus I believe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that concept, Annie. "Pray more to be faithed."

    ~ Cindie, visiting from FMF#40

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a verse and prayer I can so relate to.
    I like what you say about praying more to be faithed.

    ReplyDelete