Friday, December 18, 2020

FMF: Conclude

          At that point some of the people of Jerusalem began to ask, “Isn’t this the man they are trying to kill? Here he is, speaking publicly, and they are not saying a word to him. Have the authorities really concluded that he is the Messiah? But we know where this man is from; when the Messiah comes, no one will know where he is from.”
(John 7:25-27, NIV)

          Then they hurled insults at him and said, “You are this fellow’s disciple! We are disciples of Moses! We know that God spoke to Moses, but as for this fellow, we don’t even know where he comes from.”
          The man answered, “Now that is remarkable! You don’t know where he comes from, yet he opened my eyes."
(John 9:28-30, NIV)


We've all been there, playing a mental game of chess and we've move three steps beyond what is actually happening. We jump to conclusions so fast we should get a gold medal.  Please tell me I'm not the only one.  In the book of John an interesting juxtaposition exists between two groups of people who conclude who Jesus is.  In John 7, the people of Jerusalem decide Jesus is not the Messiah because they know where Jesus came from.  Two chapters later, in John 9, the Pharisees conclude that Jesus is not the Messiah because they don't know where He came from.  As it was in John, so it is for us.  When it comes to God, we rarely know the entire story.  Even when we know a lot, we may lack sufficient knowledge to understand its significance. God is up to something that we could not guess.  He does things bigger and better than we can imagine.  So as we conclude 2020, I tip my hat to God for filling this years with things that we couldn't have imagined, and I pray that He allows me to retire from my Olympic caliber spiritual high jumping career.



This post is a prompt from Five Minute Friday and was written in approximately five minutes. For more information, visit fiveminutefriday.com.

8 comments:

  1. Amie, bless you and yours as this crazy year comes to a close! Merry Christmas! #7

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thoughts. love this "Even when we know a lot, we may lack sufficient knowledge to understand its significance."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tip my hat to mighty God
    in awe of all His brilliance,
    but still find it rather odd,
    not knowing the significance
    of the Bigger Picture view,
    of how all this can fit a plan,
    and while it is so plainly true
    that I am but a humble man,
    I still know lots 'bout many things,
    bridges, art, and guns and stuff,
    I can build an aeroplane wing,
    but it seems it's not enough
    to understand His simplest ways,
    so in my dark, I'll just give praise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, God's ways are often beyond our understanding, and even when we know a lot we may reach the wrong conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said! His story is so much bigger than ours!
    Julie, FMF #10

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have lots of gold medals for jumping to conclusions! Merry Christmas Amie. Loretta x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha spiritual high jumping olympics. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen Amie, so wonderfully spoken. Blessings to you. Merry Christmas.
    Visit from FMF#5

    ReplyDelete