Friday, March 6, 2020

Daily

I never intend to stop running. One day I'll be tired. The next day I’m busy. And before I realize it, the weeks, or months, have slipped by, and I get winded jogging a block. It feels like failure. All the stamina I had built up is gone, and I promise myself I’ll never do it again. Repeat cycle endlessly.

Running is not the only habit that suffers from my inconsistency. My diet does. My house cleaning does. My relationships do. My spiritual disciplines do.

I hope I’m not the only one.

I’m pretty certain I’m not alone in this struggle because even Christ told His disciples “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.” (Luke 9:23, NIV). There it is: daily.

I take comfort that Christ has modeled perfect behavior in His faithfulness. As the psalmist said, “Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens” (Psalm 68:19, NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment