Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Random #1

Dear Reader,
I'm one week into my Lenten commitment to draw close to God by writing a blog post every day, and I've hit a snag. I'm tired. I don't feel inspired. I waited to the end of the day. Did I mention I'm tired? Nothing feels quite right tonight. So, I went to the internet to see if there is a website that randomly generates scripture. Of course there are. There are actually a few. The one I used can be found HERE. My randomly assigned Bible verse was "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give" (Matthew 10:8).

Enjoy!
Amie


This week at school I met a classmate who is a social media promoter. She gets paid a few hundred dollars each month to promote her employer. For an eighteen year old, this seems like a great job. I didn't get the opportunity to ask her the specifics of what she posts, but I would guess it includes interesting things about her boss, services they offer, and all the reasons one might want to do business with the company.

Yet when Jesus sends out his twelve disciples, He doesn't tell them to make posts that could go viral or start a trendy hashtag (#cleansethelepers, oh wait, someone is already using that one).  He doesn't tell them to find people who might make a large donation or to tell everyone they meet about the craziest thing Jesus ever said. No, they are instructed to go out and serve. At the beginning of the chapter Jesus "gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness" (10:1). These powers were given freely to the disciples, so they were to be used freely.

I may not have been given the power to heal leprosy*, but I have specific God-given talents. They have been given freely to me, and Christ expects me to use them freely.

I pray that the Holy Spirit gives me the power to do the work He has enabled me to do.

It appears He has today. I trust that He will, again, tomorrow.


_ _ _
*I have never met a leper, so I can't be totally sure of this. However, I believe God would have made it clear if I had received this particular gift. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment